From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:14:52 -0500
Anybody ever hear of this American composer?

I just got back from a terrific organ recital (I'm an old broken down
organist) and one of the things Ernest C.  Oelkers played was something
called 'Rhythmic Suite' by this guy Robert Elmore.  The program notes say
the suite was written in the 1950s.  [Individual pieces in the suite were
Rhythms; Pavane (which sounded vaguely familiar); Rigadoon (NOT Rigaudon);
and Finale.] I swear part of this thing sounded like a Stan Kenton chart,
and in the finale there were Charleston and rag rhythms.  It was a hoot, but
at the same time really well-constructed.  So - anybody know anything about
him?

At the end Oelkers, in classic tradition, took suggestions from the
audience for an improvisation.  I suggested Parry's 'Jerusalem,' largely
because it's such an irregular tune with a deceptive half-cadence in the
middle that I wondered if he could manage to do anything with it.  Well, he
started out working the changes on one of the other suggestions, 'Amazing
Grace,' and then, just when I thought that was all it was going to be, he
improvised a three-voice fugato on 'Jerusalem' and then brought 'Amazing
Grace' back as a counter-subject.  How does anyone DO that?  Beats me.

But them I'm just an amateur.:-)

Scott Morrison