From:
Dressler/DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:42:59 -0400
Help! I am looking for information asap regarding Technecium 99 (?sp), a radiocontrast agent injected into a mom undergoing a bone scan.  I spoke with the mother's pediatrician who cited Jack Newman as saying the half life of this drug is 6 hours and recommended withholding breastfeeding for 12 hours at the very least.
Problem is this mom, unaware of the recommendation to wait any amount of time (radiologist asked only if she was pregnant), nursed her 8 month old two hours after being injected with the drug for a bone scan.
What would you wise women say/suggest to this mom, apart from waiting to nurse again, pumping & dumping?
Please e-mail me privately as I am nomail.
Thank you,
Diane, LLLL