From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:13:14 +0100
Barrett Reynolds wrote:

>.......when you note that Ravel's idol was Mozart.  But when you
>put him next to the giants of twentieth century music, like Stravinsky
>or Prokofiev, he just seems a tad irrelevant.

Prokofiev heard Ravel's Daphis and Chloe at a concert June 1913.  In a letter
he mistakes the composer as Debussy and complained that he found it difficult
"to come to terms with the seemingly abundance of water".  (an allusion to
La Mer).  Ravel's love of Mozart comes out in his Piano Concerto in G.  There
was a wonderful performance at the Proms last year.  I see there is to be a
performance of Prokofiev's War and Peace at the Proms this year, well worth
looking out for.  Lot of other pieces as well.

Tim Horwood