From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:41:07 -0800
...Janos Gereben wrote:

>former's Mountain View production of "A Little Night Music" into the
>latter's San Francisco downtown theater.
>
>...  there is no question about the enduring magnificence of the work
>itself.  So how to explain the difference between success there and
>failure here?

Well I have to enter a dissenting voice: I have never understood the
attractions of Sondheim who seems to combine a distinct lack of memorable
melodies with self-consciously "clever" lyrics.

I tried watching ALNM on PBS when they broadcast it a few years ago.  My
wife came in partway through and after a few minutes asked "what is this
dreadful dirge?" Which I, thankfully, took as an excuse to change channels.

deryk barker