From:
Barrett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:46:06 -0700
I don't know if it's the composer himself, or just a personal hang-up
of mine, but for no apparent reason, I just can't get into the music of
Maurice Ravel.  I love the opening of Bolero, but by the end, the piece
seems to be weighed down by way too much brass, and loses its sense of
buoyancy.  I hold nothing against Ravel personally, and his music is not
without its charm, but it just seems a bit tedious and uninspired (you
have no idea how much I've listened, trying to change my opinion), which
is surprising when you note that Ravel's idol was Mozart.  But when you
put him next to the giants of twentieth century music, like Stravinsky
or Prokofiev, he just seems a tad irrelevant.  Am I alone in my indifference
toward Ravel?  Is there something seriously wrong with me?  Does anybody
else have an example of a highly respected composer whom they feel may
be overrated?

Still Listening,

----Barrett