From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 10:09:36 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>The discussion of cd pricing has much to do with the economic principle
>of price elasticity.  The argument that lowering prices by a particular
>percentage will increase sales by at least that percentage doesn't hold
>true on its own.
>
>Naxos would appear to be a fine example of strong price elasiticity,
>but Arte Nova is an equally good example of a lack of elasiticity.
>The difference between the two labels is that Naxos became perceived
>as a low price/high quality record label.  Arte Nova just was perceived
>as a low price label.

Much as I respect Naxos perception is the key word here.  The Alexander
Quartet's Beethoven Quartets and Zinman's Beethoven symphonies are more
compelling than the Naxos equivalents.  I am sure that there are other
examples.

>On average, classical music fans have greater education and income than
>folks more inclined to other musical categories.  We need to take full
>advantage through our spending money on the services and products we
>love.  If that's elitism, so be it - it's only a word people use when
>they are disgruntled.

I agree with Don.  In the spirit of this last paragraph I am trying to
figure out whether or not to support WGBH, one of two local NPR stations.
It still broadcasts classical music, and if it were just a local station
I wwould renew my membership.  But National Public Radio has, or so I
believe, made a corporate decision to downgrade classical music and its
coverage.  I very often hear Bob Edwards on morning edition giving 5-10
minutes to some young pop or folk singer who has caught the attention
of someone in the home office.  I have no objection to this, except that
classical music is not there at all.  Well, very rarely it is- this week
Nina Totenberg had a long report on a new production of Fidelio.

Bernard Chasan