From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:02:53 +0100
Dear All, I started listen to last night's Mahler 5 about 2 minutes in,
missing the names of orcestra & conductor.  The performance was very swift,
the last movement almost too fast.  The bass was a little light and the
strings (due to orchestra, conductor, recording?) far too distant.  The
Adagietto started wonderfully - swift and lyrical - but seemed to slow
somewhat in the second half.  Much of the performance was very exciting
although there were too many agogic touches for me and I like a good thwack
from the timpani in the final chorale of the 5th movement (can anyone
suggest a recording where the timpani really roar?).

Anyway, imagine my surprise when the announcer said the artists were Gatti
and the RPO.  This was far removed from their CD as it was much swifter,
especially Part 3.  Although the lighness of the bass was similar.  Does
anyone else on the list have any thoughts on this one?

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK