Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 14:28:31 +0000
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Barrett Reynolds asks concerning Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition:

>Was it better as a fascinating display for solo piano, or as a full
>orchestral suite?

Although I have dozens of piano versions and only a few for orchestra,
I'd have to say that the full splendor of the work requires the orchestral
arrangement.  It also doesn't help the piano version that the most revered
interpretation is from Richter's Sofia recital on Philips which has
horrid sound.

Quite a few months ago, I was about half-way complete with a review
project of the solo piano versions on record.  However, I was having
trouble maintaining high interest and temporarily scratched the project.
If I had a dollar for every project I've started and not completed, I
could buy a pair of shoes autographed by Kobe Bryant - make that Michael
Jordan.

Don Satz