From:
Anne Grider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:50:40 -0400
The largest LLL meetings I've ever seen were in Columbus, Ohio in late 1964
and 1965 when I attended with my first baby.  In 197l  I started the
Nurnberg/Furth LLL group in Germany for English speaking women.  They were
mostly the wives of American service men.  After two meetings the group was
so large that we split into two groups.  Everywhere I lived  (in the US,
France and Germany)  while nursing my four  in the 60s and 70s there was a
tremendous hunger to learn about childbirth and breastfeeding.  LLL was
about the only place anyone could get any information - particularly
printed.  Aside from Karen Pryor's book, Nursing Your Baby, there were very
few books and nothing worth reading on the subject. ICEA did a good job and
an organization out of Pennsylvania which I believe called itself Nursing
Mothers of Philadelphia.

The big changes I see are that  most women no longer seem to believe that
childbirth can be had without fear or pain. While the shaves and enemas may
be gone most want their epidurals as soon as possible and don't realize
there could be any consequences.  Fetal monitors, moving things along more
quickly with pitocin and more cesareans are very much accepted as standard
practices by mothers I encounter. Many hospitals used to keep babies in the
nursery up to 36 hours to observe them for TE-fistula before they were
allowed to be with mom.  There are now rows of books on breastfeeding,
classes everywhere, LCs, etc.. While most physicians aren't particularly
helpful, at least they're more encouraging.  The majority of mothers plan to
breastfeed but feel a pump is an essential. It is purchased before the
birth.  Whether they're going back to  work or not, the pump eases their
minds - they'll feel less "tied down" they say, and most seem to believe Dad
needs to do some feeding in order to properly bond with his child.  Most see
huge, heavy carseats as an extension of the baby.  Babies are left at home
more because they're too difficult to cart around in carseats. Very rarely
is a baby seen in a mother's arms in public or a lightweight carrier. Times
have changed a lot.

Anne Grider, LLLL, IBCLC
Marietta, Georgia, USA