From:
"Kathy Leeper, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:04:21 -0500
Yes, we have seen a few women able to provide enough breastmilk for their babies,
but it is impossible to predict which ones they will be.  The most recent woman said
her surgeon had removed her "excess" breast tissue by suctioning only, but she did
have a periareolar scar, implying her nipple had been "moved", probably on a
pedicle.  She is on no galactogogues and has pumped some, but that was before we
saw her, because her baby was refusing the breast.  She had some engorgement of
tissue that appeared to no longer communicate with the outside world throughout
both breasts.

We have a mom right now who just had her second baby.  We worked with her a
long time with her first baby, and she never came close to producing a full supply
despite Fenugreek, Domperidone and lots of pumping.  She started pumping right
after this baby was born, and is on Domperidone and Fenugreek, but only making
very small amounts.  I really think it depends on how much tissue was removed,
how much the surgeon mucked around in there, and whether the nipple was
removed completely or not.  And the mom often does not know exactly what
transpired.

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
Medical Director, MilkWorks-
a nonprofit breastfeeding support center in
Lincoln, NE