From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:43:39 -0500
 First, let me say that as an LLL Leader you know I see family as coming
first. I stayed home with my three children for a long time or worked in
situations where I could bring my kids before they were in school (child
care type jobs). Small babies can be very portable and easy to manage. And
yes, it is a lovely role model to see someone keeping their children close
by.

I would like to throw into this discussion the aspect of professionalism. If
we are asking women to pay us for our professional and technical services, I
believe we need to deliver to them a focused and technically oriented
consult.  So perhaps it is ok with baby in tow but if the child/baby
interferes with one's attention and professionalism, this is not good.

Personally, I can not focus on the mom with other distractions and that is
what she is paying me to do. I don't think I could do a professional job and
deal with my own child/children. For example, I could not take a history, do
a suck assessment, fill out a care plan or the medical reciept, or even do
the test weighing while nursing my own baby or answering my own children's
questions or need for attention. I am constantly involved in talking to the
mom, working with the baby, using my eyes to observe, writing notes, or
whatever -- the entire time I am doing the consult. Average consult time is
1.5 to 2 hours.

I do charge a reasonably high fee but what they are getting is focused time
from an "expert" who is highly trained and skilled (and this is how I
promote my services). And I do find it difficult many times to balance the
needs of the moms with the needs of my family. Moms want you "right now" or
yesterday but often my own family has plans that mean I am available for
tomorrow only. Or too many calls coming in at dinner time.

Good luck to you! Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC