From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 21:24:21 -0600
I do not have any personal experience with the breast-bottle.  I know a few
adoptive moms who have gotten it, but am not aware that any of them found it
helpful.  I do have some ideas about it, regarding getting a non-latching
baby to the breast, at least in the case of trying to teach a baby adopted
at an older age nursing.  The biggest hurdle, with that, is usually getting
the baby into a position where getting his mouth on the mom's nipple is
possible.  Although bottlefeeding can be done turned into mom;s body to some
extent, the position facing right into her body is not possible, unless she
has a hole in her chest for the bottle to go into.  While the breast-bottle
may seem more like a breast, I doubt it would be enough to make a
significant difference in how well a baby would take being held facing into
the breast. In most cases, the taste of the mom's nipple is a major hurdle
too, which the breast-bottle would not help.

Now, if I didn't know of something that worked better, I would probably try
it and I would lay odds that, had it been in existence back in 1991, I would
have tried it with Julia, before I came on the trick that worked.  That is
to get the baby on a wide based bottle nipple that can be sucked on without
being attached to a bottle without collapsing, and threading the feeding
tube of a nursing supplementer through the nipple hole.  If it is done
right, no air will be sucked in around the tube, just whatever is in the
supplementer.   With that, it is possible to get the baby accustomed to the
position, having the mom's clothing arranged around his face, etc..  Moving
the bottle nipple then becomes the last hurdle, which can usually be done
when the baby is half asleep and still sucking and Mom moves it and tries to
get him to open up.

Whether using the breastbottle instead of other bottle nipples with
breastfeeding babies would be better for avoiding nipple confusion, I don't
know.  I hope someone else has some experience with it!

Darillyn