HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 16:24:04 -0400
Successful thermography, in this case, detected several nearly rectangular
anomalies and one larger ovate one. We used the Palm IR 250 Thermal Sensor
by Raytheon (<http://www.remotesatellite.com/ourprod11.html>). It works
strictly in the thermal spectrum. But the results were remarkable even just
sighting through the device. We also used it to examine weak points in
structures and "invisible cracks" in buildings. The soil in the cemetery is
a silty clay loam. The graves date from 1853-1890. The mass graves were the
earliest. The late Bob Melia performed the work. He had also used it to
detect contaminant plumes in soil and water. We are expecting the final
results from his heirs shortly.
From what Bob was telling us, the real secret is in the data processing and
a lot of practice. There are other thermal images at Ken Kvamme's web site
at the University of Arkansas. Fort Riley, the installation where I work, is
also participating in an R&D project to compare and "fuse" multiple remote
sensing types of data. I hope that helps.
John Dendy
Archeologist
Dynamac Corporation
Fort Riley, KS