HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Wed, 14 May 2003 13:17:27 -0500
Woldn't mind a copy for my records.

Jason A. Emery

Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana
P.O. Box 661
Charenton, LA  70523
Phone: (337) 923-9923

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael
Pfeiffer
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 8:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 19th-Century Homesteads and CRM

Since the Ozark National Forest, Like so many in the eastern United States,
was created from formerly private lands, we have Homesteads ALL OVER THE
PLACE.  In conjunction with the Arkansas Archeological Survey, we have a
developed a prototype form which can be filled out in the field by either a
professional or Tech.  The purpose is to give us enough information to
allow  us to determine National Register potential, research potential,
interpretive potential, ect.

As in 99 percent of all CRM work, our purpose is 106 compliance and NOT
what research questions.  Once we determine that a site has potential for
any of these three categories, it goes into the semi-permanent "flag and
avoid" category.  Kind of a "death by benign neglect".  We get to nominate
a couple of site to the National Register every few years which keeps us
Section 110 compliant.  We finagle a Passport In Time (PIT) project every
now and then when we have personnel to supervise the projects.  With these
level of excavations, we get enough real information to determine the
research potential of a site.

Anyone wishing an electronic copy of the form, just let me know.

Smoke.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

                      Jessica White
                      <[log in to unmask]         To:      [log in to unmask]
                      NET>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: 19th-Century
Homesteads and CRM
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY
                      u>

                      05/08/2003 07:13
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Hello!

Does anyone have any references for work done with 19th-century homesteads
in
the context of CRM work?  How does one determine if an artifact scatter (in
this context) should be recommended for more work?  What sort of research
questions can one ask?

Obviously, any help/advice is much appreciated!  :)

Thanks,
Jessica

Jessica White
Historical Archaeologist