From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:44:08 +1100
Deryk Barker, on Boult's Vaughan Williams symphonies:

>His first recordings of 1-8 were for Decca and have been reissued on
>BELART.  (His premiere recording of the 9th, made the day after
>RVW's death IIRC, was - and still is - on Everest).

A 5-CD set containing all nine symphonies has been released in the Decca
British Music series.  I've just spent a fruitless time trying to find
a review, but IIRC Decca licensed the 9th for this release.  The 9th was
originally released in stereo - I bought the LP - but the other eight
were mono.  Whether they've been refurbished since their Belart release,
I don't know.  The EMI set also has the fillers for the original LP
releases which include the Concerto for Two Pianos.

Although it sounds its age, the mono version of the Sea Symphony is still
capable of making - ah - quite a splash.

Richard Pennycuick