From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 14:42:13 -0400
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>I agree with Don.  In the spirit of this last paragraph I am trying to
>figure out whether or not to support WGBH, one of two local NPR stations.
>It still broadcasts classical music, and if it were just a local station
>I wwould renew my membership.  But National Public Radio has, or so I
>believe, made a corporate decision to downgrade classical music and its
>coverage.  I very often hear Bob Edwards on morning edition giving 5-10
>minutes to some young pop or folk singer who has caught the attention
>of someone in the home office.  I have no objection to this, except that
>classical music is not there at all.  Well, very rarely it is- this week
>Nina Totenberg had a long report on a new production of Fidelio.

A few years ago, I cut back my annual contribution to Washington's
WETA because of its reduction of classical music broadcasts in the
morning hours and told them so by letter.  I got a polite reply from
the Rockefeller lady explaining that, after having expanded their listening
area w/ more powerful equipment, they had to respect the tastes of the
greater listening audience.  From the point of view of existing subscribers
this seemed a totally unsatisfactory response for reasons I don't believe
I need list here.  I finally increased my contributions when, in response
to requests like mine, it started broadcasting the Saturday matinee Met
opera performances, which I hope will be continued despite Chevron/Texaco's
cancelling its sponsorship.

Walter Meyer