From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 11:55:04 +0100
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >

>Tintner was a superb conductor and interpreter of Bruckner who, alas,
>was saddled with inadequate orchestras and inadequate rehearsal/recording
>session time for his efforts with Naxos.  IMO, the only two recordings
>of the series that surpass these twin difficulties are the 3rd and 8th,
>both of which are excellent representations of the first versions of
>those symphonies.

For me the jewels in the series are the #2 which is delightfully played
and conducted (the bass is a poorly recorded though) and #3.  The RSNO
recordings are OKish but the brass is too strident.  The orchestra sounds
miles better in its recording for Chandos.

Apparently Herreweghe wants to record a Bruckner cycle.  It would be
fascinating to hear a complete cycle on period instruments.  This would
correct the overemphatic brass on so many Bruckner recordings, including,
sadly, the Tintner/RNSO.  Plus it would be good to hear the gut strings.

I must politely disagree with those who prefer the Klemperer #6 to
Tintner.  The second movement is slower, richer and more flowing (more
'spiritutal' I guess) under Tintner, the tempos of the first two movements
are in better relation to each other, the last movement holds more even
pulse with some exciting timpani, the first movement slows down the final
bars as the composer instructs and the recorded sound is more expansive.

However there are shocking lapses in the playing (for this I blame the
editor for not ironing out the mistakes).  This does no credit to the
artists or Naxos.

I wish I could find the other Tintner Bruckner 6.

Kind regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK