From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:36:36 -0400
To Cynthia Good Mojab

Dear Cynthia,

I just finished doing an article on vitamin D for "Breastfeeding Cues," the newsletter I write for health professionals in our corner of New Jersey. It was an interesting exercise; I was aiming for a balanced
presentation of controversial material. I guess my main goal was to let physicians and others know that women will be asking questions about whether their own breastfed babies need to be supplemented if they are getting cautious exposure to sunshine. I also encouraged health care professionals to give parents clear and supportive messages that breastfed babies do not need to get vitamin D from formula. I cited the
Mothering articles as well as the AAP statement-so at least my audience will know that the Mothering articles exist!

In my research I looked at a citation from Canada and found that Mead Johnson distributes a Vitamin D-only preparation for babies there. What a surprise! (tongue in cheek) So what's keeping them from distributing the same product for U.S. families who choose to follow the AAP guideline?

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
working for WIC in South Jersey (Eastern USA)
Co-coordinator, Women & Work Task Force, WABA
PLEASE NOTE my new email address. [log in to unmask]