Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 13:37:10 +0100
>I am interested in researching lactose intolerance in breast fed
>infants.  If there is information or current management protocols
>available I would be very appreciative.  I am working in a new
>position and have found that many of the breast fed babies
>experience lactose intolerance and must give up breast feeding.  I
>believe there must be a solution to this very common problem in this
>area.   Thanks for your help and looking forward to your
>reply.Louise Harmer, RN, CRNP, IBCLCBrownsville, TX

Is it really common?

I have been working (as a volunteer) in this field for more than 20
years, and currently speak to/meet hundreds of women  a year who are
bf, and I have never come across any baby with lactose intolerance
severe enough to stop bf, even temporarily, though I have read about
a very few cases where bf was suspended with a very sick baby with
temporary LI.

I know most of the babies I come across are not actually ill, and
someone working in a hospital might have a different experience, but
I would have heard more about it, surely? And surely UK babies can't
be that different????!

Or are we just not looking properly?

Curious!!

Heather Welford Neil