Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 21:36:03 -0600
I'm just speculating, but I think countries who sexualize the breast have
low bf rates.  I honestly can't say whether France or Ireland sexualize the
breast, but I think we do in the US, and I would say that while we're
gaining in leaps and bounds, we're still suffering from it.
I also think countries who are somewhat sexually repressed--US, UK, and
then maybe Ireland--might also have low bf rates.  I would *guess* France
wouldn't necessarily fall into the repression category, but from what I've
heard, I think the sexualization thing might be somewhat valid.

I've heard anecdotally from friends who have visited France, that the looks
of disgust they get for nursing in public are very disconcerting--and some
of these women are LLLLs.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it, but this is my guess, FWIW.

Gina Gerboth
Colorado