From:
Iskender Savasir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:57:32 +0300
Thanks to all who have proivded such invaluable information on Haydn
(both Joseph and Michael) and Napoleon.  After all such input and
especially es per the following comment, I feel like I should give
some background info as to what I am doing:

Bert Bailey wrote:

>Here's hoping whatever version you choose is appreciated by a receptive
>audience.  ...in Turkey?

I certainly understand the "surprise" as to how such a question may be
coming from Turkey.  The station in which I am doing my program (called
the Open Radio- Acik Radyo) is sort of an intellectuals cooperative- not
funded by anyone except for the intial 100 people who had contributed
1000 dolars if I am not mistaken (I was not one of the initial 100).
The 1000 dolars was a ceiling- as a measure against anyone "controlling"
the venture.  The "slogan" of the radio is "a station that is open to
all the sounds of the universe".  All programmers do their programs on
a voluntary basis (ie.  gratis); only the minimal technical staff (mostly
very young and musical people) work on a professional basis.  The station
is purported to have about 50,000 listeners (which might be an exaggeration).

As for my program- being an analytical pyschotherapist, it is sort
of free associations on music.  With the beginning of Iraq operation I
started concentrating on war- playing basically Philip Glas (Civil Wars),
Shostakovitch the 8th Symmphony, Haydn Nelson Mass)I am using the Rihard
Hickox version), George Crumb Black Angels and some American songs from
the Revolutionary era and the Civil war.

The radio has a very liited archive (best at World music, poorest in
Classical Music) so most programmers (myself included) use their own
archives.  Hence, it will be a while before I will get to play the Michael
Haydn requiem (as it will be a while I will be solvent enough to purchase
it); but I will certainly make use of the info you all have been so
gracious to share with me.

Once again thanks to all,

Iskender