From:
Laura Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:14:07 -0500
Hello to All,

I recently spoke with a mom who is in her 33 wk of pregnancy.  She has gestational diabetes and going on insulin.  Her baby is large already and she was very concerned about getting breastfeeding started.  Her midwife told her that if the baby's chemstrip was low, we'd give the baby formula by bottle.  I reassured the mom this is not the case and every effort would be made to get the baby to breast as long as he/she was stable and not symptomatic.  We talked about IV glucose depending on the circumstances.  She may be a scheduled C/Section if the baby's growth continues the way it has.  I suggested to her that when she knows more about the section and such, she may want to express colostrum and bring it with her to the hospital in the event things don't go as planned.  I heard Dr. Newman mention this when he has a diabetic mom due to the increased risk of formula exposure.  Mom thought it was a great idea.  Has anyone done this before?