Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:20:11 +0100
In one of Lennart Righard and Margaret Alade's studies they looked at sucking
problems (as manifested by soreness in the mother) dependent on whether baby
had been allowed time before the first feed to attach by her/himself, or
whether there had been interruptions.  They also noted whether or not
pethidine (meperidine) had been given.
There were far more sucking problems in the group who had been interrupted.
Meperidine compounded this effect.
I'm at work and don't have the reference but this is a landmark article and
shouldn't be too hard to find.  It was from the early 1990's, I think.
Rachel Myr in Norway