From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:27:25 -0000
Before we reach for another label for ourselves, such as the ones above, can
we just stop a minute and take stock?  The posters assume that we are all
coming at this from the same angle.  I would feel most uncomfortable
labelling myself as a health advocate!  I am not a hcp and never plan to be
one!  I am interested in the baby and try to advocate for babies at times,
but actually, I come at this from a woman-centred hunger for breastfeeding.
Taking a stand as a health advocate, for example, means that we might agree
with the Swedish govt which has outlawed women who are hiv+ from
breastfeeding their babies.  Aside from the fact that the research in this
regard is equivocal and questionable, I am reluctant to go down the road of
criminalising breastfeeding until we have thought a lot longer and harder
about it.  In fact, until someone can give me one good reason....But as a
health advocate, I woudl feel trapped into this logic. (Indeed I see many
breastfeeding people so trapped.)

It seems to me that the current alliance of breastfeeding supporters has
evolved over time -- and left some out who might have been supporters had we
evolved with a different focus.  Suddenly changing the focus, without
careful consultation of current supporters may lose allies, without building
bridges for others to join.  And I think that one of the major groups who
has not been on-board with breastfeeding advocacy is feminists (do they
still exist in the USA?  I am not sure.) I can't see them coming on board
for health -- so you are talking about breaking current partnerships with
nothing to replace them.

Respectfully,

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK
declaration of competing interests:  I am a feminist.  I am a breastfeeding
advocate.

---