From:
"McGill,Randi L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:58:47 -0800
My name is Randi and I am a recent re-subscriber to Lactnet.  I have a puzzle regarding the mommy of a 5-weekold baby.  Baby is nursing well, but only one breast is producing milk.  Glandular tissue is adequate, no medications, no previous injuries or surgeries.  Breast not producing milk is not engorged and there are no signs of mastitis or plugged ducts.  Baby is gaining weight and appears satisfied, but mother is worried, of course, about the producing breast joining its sister.  I have seen patients in the past who had trauma  or surgery on one side, who completely breastfed on the other, but I have never seen a patient with normal, uninjured breast tissue who did not produce even a drop of milk (without physiological reason).  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Baby is not in danger, but I would like to be able to offer mother some answers.

Randi McGill-Chapin, RN
Nurse Educator
Fontana Ob-Gyn Department

This electronic transmission, including any attachments, contains information from Southern California Permanente Medical Group, which may be confidential or privileged.  This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.