HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Melissa Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:31:08 -0700
Lucy-

I've done work at Fort Carson (CO)-which was established at Camp Carson in
WWII. Assuming that you're working on a US base, the camp layouts were
based on a series of standard military plans which can serve as a blueprint
for what you can see on the ground. Somewhere in either the military or the
National Archives it's likely there are engineering plans for your base.
At Ft. Carson, we were able to photographically overlay blueprints for the
WWII PW Camp over an air photo of the site, identify the function of each
structure we found, look for features that were not obvious on the surface,
and get a good idea of how much of the site was destroyed.

Some good references for military architecture and planning- which you may
have heard of already...

Cleary, David
1983 A Life Which is Gregarious in the Exreme: A 1983 History of Furniture
in Barracks, Hospitals, and Guardhouses of the US Army 1880-1945. Report
prepared for the National Park Service, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. David
Cleary and Associates, Bloomington, Indiana. Also includes some
architectural and planning history

Garner, John S.
1993 A Brief History of the Architecture and Planning of Cantonments and
Training Staions in the US. US Army Construction Engineering Research
Laboratories, Champaign IL.

Melissa Connor