HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Holland, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:05:49 -0400
>>>it is hard for me to imagine a USGS quad map with elevations
>>>recorded in meters - do they exist?

Sometime back it seems USGS was replacing the beloved quad with a folded version with more legend info and with elevations in meters. I was trying to get used to the idea (at least they were easy to store), but apparently that idea was abandoned (related to budget cuts, possibly?). I hardly ever use the most recent paper versions since we got Terrain Navigator coverage for most of the country.

Speaking of those cuts, I heard there were drastic cuts to USGS during the Clinton administration, I think. are they even updating maps anymore? some maps are so horribly out of date as to be nearly useless in the field. It amazed me that an agency charged with maintaining an accurate accounting of the nation's geography would be considered a waste of government money, especially as the geography is now so rapidly changing.

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Holland
Senior Historian
TRC