HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Danny Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:03:53 -0700
While I do not have a copy, I have seen a letter from Anheiser Busch in
St. Louis to the post sutler at Fort Laramie in the 1880s not only
outlining the shipment of beer in bottles to Fort Laramie at that time,
but a reminder that the contract calls for return shipment of the EMPTY
bottles back to St. Louis for refilling.  Recycling in the 1880s.

talking with the site curator, during that time period, whiskey was
shipped to the fort in barrels, but beer was shipped in bottles.  they
have several sources of documentation for this.

Danny Walker
Wyoming Assistant State Archaeologist.