From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:53:44 -0800
 [Received from Moscow Friday morning]

   RNO Makes it Clear: No Clones

   Moscow - March 14, 2003

   The Russian National Orchestra (RNO), in response to reports
   that Vladimir Spivakov would lead an orchestra to be called the
   "Russian National Philharmonic Orchestra", issued the following
   statement today from Chief Executive Sergei Markov:

   "When we informed Mr. Spivakov last fall that his contract with
   the RNO would not be renewed, we knew he was keen to continue
   his conducting career.  We expected that he should be able to
   find a position with one of the existing orchestras in Russia.
   In Moscow alone there are more than 20.

   "Instead, Mr. Spivakov is trying to form a new orchestra with
   a name confusingly close to the RNO.  We find it odd that any
   professional would try to start a new venture by appropriating
   the name of the one that had dismissed him.

   "We are surprised that the Ministry of Culture - which for years
   has voiced the need to reduce the number of orchestras depending
   on it - would do the very opposite by creating one more for
   Spivakov.  This demonstrates that old-style cronyism, rather
   than good sense, still carries the day within Russia's cultural
   establishment.

   "The Russian National Orchestra is well known throughout the
   world.  While imitation is the highest form of flattery, this
   attempt to create another Russian National Orchestra cannot be
   serious.  Any party choosing to infringe the RNO's trademark,
   which is registered and protected worldwide, will be met with
   the appropriate legal response.

   "The RNO wishes Mr. Spivakov every success in starting a new
   orchestra with a non-infringing name.  Should he persist in his
   intention to call it the Russian National, he might just as well
   change his own name to Mozart."

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org