From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:27:21 +0100
Ed Zubrow questions Steve:

>>Haydn: Sinfonia Concertante
>
>Is this a typo? I am unfamiliar with a Haydn Sinfonia Concertante.
>Assuming there is such a thing, what would I hear in it that makes
>it so distinguished?

Resurfacing accidentaly as I've just listened to this Haydn piece: HV
I:105 B major (For violin, cello, oboe, basoon and strings, movements;
I: Allegro / II: Andante / III: Allegro con spirito - 1792),  in an
of-air-recording featuring the Swedish RSO led by David Oistrakh recorded
in 1971. I would not call it distinguised but rather crafty Haydn. But
it does really exist..

The list newling Barrett Reynolds asked:

>...what pieces comprise your absolute musical zenith?

I'd say: Whatever lies beyond the horizon. Discovering music that I have
not heard before puts my ears in zenith. The music is there (in all
forms) to be consumed in large quantities!

Limiting myself to a top five zenithical discoveries:

D. Shostkovich: Symphony No. 13 (Op. 113)
J. S. Bach: Das Wohltemperierte Klavier (BVW 846-893)
S. Gubaidulina: Perception
K. Saariaho: Graal Theatre
L. Berio: Visage

returning to my cave/ptr

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)