Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:57:05 -0400
Before I started keeping bees, I had myself checked by an allegist. I was a
little
sensitive to wasp venom. Not sensitive to honeybees. After two years, I was
stung
by a hornet and had an anaphlatic attack - numbness, hard to breath,
itchyness - and
had to go to the hospital. After that episode, I went back to the allergist
and, guess what?
I was allergic to all venom including honeybee.

I have sinse read that the body can handle a few stings if that's all you
get.
If you receive numerous stings, you may develop a resistance to the venom.
Anywhere in between and you are at risk to develop an allergy. I am now on
venom therapy
- three shots of pure venom every two months. It is expensive but drug plans
generally cover
the shots.

I can now get stung with little reaction. And I've met a lot of hobby
beekeepers at the allergist's
office

I recommend anyone who is a hobby beekeeper to get tested by an allergist.
As happened to me,
you can develop an allergy at any time.

Jay Mowat
Erin, Ontario