Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 12:49:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Hello All,

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.

A fall from a ladder may be worth a trip to the hospital.

Like most beekeepers I have caught my share of swarms over the years.  There is something fascinating about a swarm and they still intrigue me.  The behavior of the person calling about the swarm is also somewhat intriguing.  After the main onslaught of varroa the number of swarm calls has gone down from what it was 10 years ago.  We still get them so I finally set up some rules for going after them.

If the swarm is one of mine; I go.  If it is in an area near where I have colonies; I go. If the caller is an acquaintance; I go.  If the swarm is causing a problem, perceived or real, (i.e., landing in the stands during a baseball game); again I will go.  Lastly if something good for the industry's image, i.e., positive media coverage, can be gained; I will also go.  All these are without charge.

When I get a call, four things come into play.  How high? How far?  How long? and What kind of tree are they in?  If its higher than 6 ft (2m), further than 10 miles (16 km), or in a pine tree or hedge; I tell the caller there will be a fee.   I don't charge very much, usually enough to cover my time and travel.  If they balk, I offer the names of one or two other beekeepers, and politely say good by.

Some will argue, we owe it to the bees.  I hate knowing something bad has happened to some bees, but I am a realist.  I can't stop world hunger, nor can I save every bee.  Too many times I have arrived and the swarm was gone and the caller didn't bother to let me know or I was greeted by two other beekeepers because the caller just called everyone he could regardless of the fact we all said we would be there.

I have said this before.  I don't owe the world a favor just because I am a beekeeper.  If my car breaks down I would never call a complete strange to come over and fix it RIGHT NOW and then expect him to work for free, just because he is a mechanic.  The same goes for beekeeping.  If I am doing it without charge, I feel I am doing them a favor.  If I am charging they are usually getting more then what they are paying for.

If you love swarm-chasing, good luck, but bee careful.

Ron

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, (eastern) PA, USA

+

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2