HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gina Michaels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:36:37 -0800
Hello all,
        I am a graduate student at Stanford University currently
working with artifacts from the excavation of a 19th century overseas
Chinatown from San Jose California. In this collection there are
several porcelain bowls and plates that have Chinese characters pecked
into their surfaces, presumably by the people who owned the pieces. I
have not been able to locate any literature on these sorts of markings.
Is there anyone who has either studied overseas Chinese peck marked
vessels or knows of any reports done on the topic that would be willing
to give me some direction with my study?
Thank you,
Gina Michaels