From:
Nick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 23:40:48 -0400
Let's set the record straight, folks.  Both the Slatkin Mahler 2nd and
the Shaw Berlioz Requiem are on Telarc, a Cleveland company and still
thankfully independent, not Teldec, a European label now owned by Time
Warner.

I'm glad you like the Berlioz (with both the Prologue to Boito's
<Mephistofele> and the Verdi Te Deum as fillers).  The Boito was our
second Telarc recording.  The performances were with Jerome Hines, but
he was ill that week and it was obvious a change had to be made for the
recording.  The Atlanta Symphony management came up with this unknown
young bass named John Cheek, who knew the role but had never performed
it.  He arrived for the weekend recording sessions and won our hearts
immediately.  The voice was deep and full (how could such a skinny guy
sing so loud?!), and his performance was assured and authoritative.
I believe that was his first recording, and we had him back for many
concerts after that.  He also recorded Haydn's <Creation> and the
Beethoven Ninth Symphony with us.

We're doing John Adams's oratorio <El Nino> in two weeks.  I invite you
to check out our website, www.adams-el-nino.org, and come to the concerts
if possible.

Nick Jones
Program Annotator (and Chorus member)