From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:26:26 +1000
Karl Miller:

>As for my own label, if we can get reimbursement for sold product, we
>hope to contract an orchestra in Kiev to do some recording of American
>Music.  It is the only affordable way to record something that isn't
>likely to sell more than 1,000 copies.

A set of symphonies by the Danish composer Bendix on Danacord uses an
orchestra from Omsk.  The strangest collection of nationalities I've
encountered recently is on the Dutch label Etcetera's very satisfying
CDs of the symphonies by the Australian Brenton Broadstock using the
orchestra from Krasnoyarsk which seems to be an enormously long way from
anywhere.

I've also noticed Naxos using American orchestras from San Diego, Nashville
and possibly elsewhere.  If Naxos and the orchestras can make some money
because the big league American orchestras have priced themselves out
of the market, then good for them.

Richard Pennycuick