HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:15:52 -0400
At the Battle of Athens (long "a") Site in Missouri, archologists have
uncovered and underground chamber near the Des Moines River that was used by
the UGRR. I believe there is documentary evidence supporting it. There was a
confrontation between Missouri slaveholders the 1st Ohio prior to the battle
in the Quaker town across the river in Iowa. This is the only instance that
I can think of with primary sources.