HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:17:43 -0400
"So what is the difference between anthropology and sociology? Is
anthropology the study of other cultures and sociology the study of your own
culture?
John"

If you sign up with the anthropology employers online like Context
Research's Anthrojob.com web site, ethnographers are employed in our own
culture, i.e., studying how people with HIV are treated, if you know people
that are being treated, how people vacation, if you know any going on one,
and what it is to by a house, if you know someone buying one. So the line to
me is quite different, but not inside or outside cultures per se. Sociology
seems to work with larger sample sizes than anthropologists, and like Paul
Radin's work sometimes based on an individual, something I could never
imagine sociology ever doing, though it is a semantic question, as many
times there just aren't that many people left that the anthropologist is
studying, a way of life.

I heard recently someone take a poke at sociology, I think high up in the
current administration, and totally unfair I would think, but I'm not a
sociologist.

George Myers