HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:34:10 -0400
Here in central Delaware there are at least two so-called tunnels to
the St. Jones River. In one case, the present governor's mansion, the
tunnel would have been nearly a half mile long, to a part of the
river that is above the head of navigation. In the other case, a
known UGRR stop, the alleged tunnel has never been revealed, nor is
there anyone who can tell me why it would have een needed.

Indeed, my own father swore that the tunnel under Woodburn, now the
Governor's house, went all the way to the river. He was born in 1899,
and heard it as a child from people who claimed to have seen it.
There are some under-hearth arches in the basement, but that's it.

When you look at the history of the Underground Railroad, one big
question arises: How would someone build a "covert" tunnel along a
heavily-travelled river and dispose of that much dirt in a close-knit
rural community?  The short answer is that it ain't gonna happen.
--

About 1607, residents of the
Atlantic seaboard discovered Europeans.