HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:53:58 -0500
On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 09:28 PM, Melissa Connor wrote:

> "Forensic" means in a medico-legal context. This means that texts or
>
> John Hunter, Charlotte Roberts, and Anthrony Marting, (1996) ......
> For my taste, the
> section on locating remains puts too much emphasis on remote sensing
> techniques.

The emphasis on remote sensing is simply because in European
archaeology in general, remote sensing is used way far more frequently
than it is in the US. Remote sensing includes resistivity,
magnetometer, metal detector as well as GPR, each of which has their
benefits and downsides. Remote sensing as they use it is more a
planning tool for site excavation. Give me a good geophysical survey
plot any day over a random-number table generated dig plan ;>)).

> I've exhumed 100's of bodies and, to date, never found a grave
> with GPR -

For a site specific study of the possibilities of GPR and graveyard
study try:

Bioarcheological and Geophysical Investigation, The Soldiers Plot,
Emmanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery, New Market, Virginia. Douglas W.
Owsley, William F. Hanna, Malcolm L. Richardson & Laurie E. Burgess.
This may be obtained from the Archeological Society of Virginia
(www.archsocva.org).

Lyle Browning