From:
Ray Osnato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:46:14 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Could I please aks for recommendations of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet (need
>not be complete).

I have always liked the Chandos recording with Kitaenko (the complete score).
I was skeptical about it before hearing it, but it turned out to be a real
winner.  For me it has all the qualities you require and certainly does not
slight the darker undecurrents in the work.  It is a performance of great
power and drama, with the Danish band playing with real gusto.

For assorted excerpts I turn to Ancerl (still the old Urania CD, not the
latest Supraphon incarnation), Stokowski (not the usual excerpts but lovely
indeed) and Celibidache in assorted bootleg issues and private collections.

And that is my two rubles worth.

Ray Osnato