HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Nance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:27:27 -0600
In 1991 the Tennessee Division of Archaeology conducted a study of Tennessee gunmakers.  Through extensive archival research we found about 400 gunmakers, though most of these were operating in the 19th century.  There were a few in Tennessee as early as the 1770s, and our cut-off date was 1860.  The report is out of print, but you may be able to get an interlibrary loan from the Tennessee State Library and Archives or the Nashville/Davidson County Public Library.  The reference is:

Smith, Samuel D., Fred M. Prouty, and Benjamin C. Nance
  1991  A Preliminary Survey of Historic Period Gunmaking in Tennessee. Tennessee Department of Conservation, Division of Archaeology, Report of Investigations No. 8

If you have trouble finding it let me know.  Ben.

Benjamin C. Nance
Historical Archaeologist
Tennessee Division of Archaeology
(615) 741-1588  Ext. 21
Fax:  (615) 741-7329

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/19/02 03:47PM >>>
Does anyone know of any archaeological or other studies of 18th century gunsmithing operations?

The HABS/HAER index does not appear to have anything pertinent.
Diderot illustrates a rifling machine and workshop on Plates 59 and 60

Thanks in advance

Ian Burrow