HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 05:20:31 -0400
Historic roof pitches varied regionally, too, and with time. In
Virginia, in the late eighteenth century, roofs were still being
built quite steep. I remember my disorientation, moving from Virginia
to Delaware, where the eighteenth-century roofs were much
lower-pitched. The 1770 houses here had rooflines that in Virginia
would have been typical of 1820. Meanwhile, in New England, flatter
roofs prevailed in spite of the greater snow load.

But roofs went up and down with style, remember. An Italianate of the
middle nineteenth century has a very low, almost flat, roof, while a
big Richardsonian roof of the late century will be a slate-covered
toboggan slide. Try mounting a TV antenna on one!

Urban roofs tended to be flatter than rural roofs. Look out over the
great rowhouse cities like Philadelphia and Baltimore, and you will
see acres of relatively flat roofs on two-story brick houses.

Right now, the manufactured housing industry is trending toward
steeper roofs in a public-relations move.  Flatter roofs are
associated in the public mind with trailer homes, so the developers
of double-wide subdivisions are bragging about how steep their roofs
are.  And a modular home, as opposed to a mere double-wide, will have
a roof that is steeper yet.

So given the vast range of local variations, changes in style, and
just plain peculiarities, it's folly to put too much credence on roof
pitch.

--
    Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])