HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:11:38 -0800
John,

What are you wanting to say? All we see are a bunch of forwarded notes. Do
not hit forward when you want to reply.

At 04:08 PM 12/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
>--Boundary_(ID_MvIN6eQ8hAcL8c/T8zUoCg)
>

>"Robert L. Schuyler" wrote:
>
> > Historical Movies etc.
> >
> > I have always been shocked and surprised when Hollywood or TV changes
> > history for no apparent
> > reason. It does not help the movie or TV special, so why change the facts?
> > This is especially
> > surprising when the media makes a religious movie or TV special and there
> > was one not too long
> > ago that had the Old Testament inside out. I even have a dim memory of "The
> > Ten Commandments"
> > in which Moses bounces the holy tablets (first set) off of his brother
> > Aaron's head and the Golden
> > Calf and Aaron (Edgar G. Robinson) fall down a hole (into Hell?). It was a
> > great scene but I think
> > Aaron survived that incident in the original and went on to be important.
> >
> > Truly religious people must go crazy over this sort of thing.
> >
> > The Civil War. I remember several years back when one of the graduate
> > students here at Penn in
> > historical archaeology told Murray Murphey, the Chair of the Department of
> > American Civilization,
> > that he or she was under the impression that Thomas Jefferson was the
> > president of the United
> > States during the Civil War. Murray never recovered from that one. I did
> > point out to Murphey that
> > it could have gone the other way and the student might have been under the
> > impression that
> > FDR (one of Murray's heroes) was president during the Civil Wat. At least
> > they had the right
> > country.
> >
> >          Now what to do - go see "Gangs of New York" or read those seven
> > volumes on my  Bob:  A no-brainer.  Do both - for different reasons.
> > library shelf?
> >
> >                                                          Bob Schuyler
> >
> > At 10:18 AM 12/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> > >Yes, Hollywood is in the entertainment business, and some literary or
> > >artistic license one can live with.  But that's no excuse for gross
> > >misrepresentations. So its a matter of what one can, or chooses to, accept
> > >in order to bring a story to a wide audience.
> > >
> > >There has been lots of discussion, over the years, of Hollywood and
> what it
> > >does or doesn't do in professional historical journals like the Journal of
> > >American History. If you're interested in that literature, its easy to
> > >find, so I don't want to go into that again here.
> > >
> > >I have always felt that the best that can be said for a lot of these
> > >"period" or "historcial" films is that they may awaken an interest in
> > >curious or thinking people who will then want to go out and learn more
> > >about whatever the subject is. (I'd suggest seeing the movie first and
> then
> > >going to the literature, rather than vice versa.)  If the results of the
> > >testing programs that some of these educational  groups are carrying out
> [...]

Anita Cohen-Williams
Search Engine Guru/SEO
http://www.mysearchguru.com
"Connecting Your Site to the Web"
Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH & SPANBORD
ArchaeologyOnline Blog
http://archaeology.blogspot.com

MuseumGuru Blog
http://museumguru.blogspot.com