HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:47:42 -0400
Henry Chapman Mercer

He also, from what I read, used the dating of tree rings to date the
abandonment of the Vera Cruz, Pennsylvania jasper aboriginal "mines," near
Emmaus, PA. According to the flyer associated with this jasper or
cryptocrystalline quartz source (others are "nearby," this one "Jasper Park"
after the Penn. Turnpike tore through part of it, and cited in the American
Anthropologist in it's very early publications) the mine was abandoned about
1600 AD (it may be more precise than that) and antler tools were found in
the mines. A long fluted point was found in the fields across from the park
(fines for removing it) by a former teacher and mineral collector I spoke
with. A PA State sign says the material was traded as far away as New
England.

Perhaps someone knows why his middle name was "Chapman"? My great uncle from
Grand Manan Island, Canada, Leman Chapman Urquhart, a Master Mariner,
Captain of the "City of Atlanta", lost to U123 in WWII, also had that middle
name, and I wonder, did it have to do with Homer? As Chapman was one of the
translators?

George Myers