From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:03:06 -0500
Simon Corley wrote:

>...  I'd be glad to suggest some more operas, but I know that the language
>doesn't help to understand easily these works.  It's not like operas sung
>in German or in Italian.  However, Jenufa, The Cunning little Vixen and
>From the house of the Deads are probably easier to start with.

Maybe even easier is Jenufa. Some might find From the House of the Dead,
great as it is, a bit modern. And if the language does turn out to be a
problem in the beginning, there is a marvelous recoding of Fate by
Mackerras in English.

>For the Sinfonietta (and Taras Bulba and the Glagolitic Mass), I think you
>can beat the Czech: Bakala (if you can find these recordings somewhere)
>for the first two (1952-1954), Talich for Taras (Supraphon, 1954), Ancerl
>for the Mass (Supraphon, 1963).

But keep in mind that the first two are mono, and these piece absolutely
benefit from good stereo.  Usually, the Taras and Sinfonietta are paired.
Try Ancerl, Mackerras, Kubelik.  I think there is a Neumann on Supraphon
with the stunning Violin Concerto.  I haven't heard it.  There may be a
Pesek on London.  I've heard it once, I think, and it was quite good.
Another one to think of of the Sinfonietta is Abbado, mainly for the
coupling:  an orchestrated version of Diary of One Who Vanished (worth
getting in its original form for tenor, sopranos and piano.  The Kubelik
version on DG is good, but you might want to go with the Czechs on
Supraphon.) Rattle has an okay pairing of these works (S & TB), as well.
There are probably a few others.

>I must confess I haven't got the time yet to listen to Chailly's recent
>performance of the Mass (on a Decca CD), but I've only seen good reviews
>of this record.

I just reviewed it.  I wouldn't start with it, but might get it eventually.
It's very good, but very very much in a Teutonic vein and may seem heavy to
many.  More Slavic, and to me, more idiomatic, are Mackerras on Supraphon,
Jilek, and the classic Ancerl.  The Mackerras on Chandos is a fascinating
account of the earlier ("original") Wingfield edition.  Kempe has an
interesting Germanic version as well.  I'm not so fond of the Rattle.

>Some more chamber music? I consider that the "Mladi" (Youth) sextet is
>essential.  Once more, I have to recommend Czech artists on Supraphon
>(1972).  Of course, the two string quartets belong to the same category
>(essential!): have a look at the Talich or at the (more recent) Prazak.

Or the Janacek Quartet, my favorite version of these, though I haven't
heard the above.  I have not liked the Medici recording, nor, surprisingly,
the Smetana.  Another good one, though, is Kreuzberger.  I suspect Talich
would be good, too.

>There are many good renditions of the (uncomplete and) tragic Piano sonata.
>You can't complain with Firkusny (1971, I'm not sure of the record company
>any more), who also recorded various small pieces.

Check out Over the Pavements with Firkusny (DG).

These are just additions. Generally, I agree with what has been said in
earlier messages.

Roger Hecht