HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:49:54 -0500
Historical Movies etc.

I have always been shocked and surprised when Hollywood or TV changes
history for no apparent
reason. It does not help the movie or TV special, so why change the facts?
This is especially
surprising when the media makes a religious movie or TV special and there
was one not too long
ago that had the Old Testament inside out. I even have a dim memory of "The
Ten Commandments"
in which Moses bounces the holy tablets (first set) off of his brother
Aaron's head and the Golden
Calf and Aaron (Edgar G. Robinson) fall down a hole (into Hell?). It was a
great scene but I think
Aaron survived that incident in the original and went on to be important.

Truly religious people must go crazy over this sort of thing.

The Civil War. I remember several years back when one of the graduate
students here at Penn in
historical archaeology told Murray Murphey, the Chair of the Department of
American Civilization,
that he or she was under the impression that Thomas Jefferson was the
president of the United
States during the Civil War. Murray never recovered from that one. I did
point out to Murphey that
it could have gone the other way and the student might have been under the
impression that
FDR (one of Murray's heroes) was president during the Civil Wat. At least
they had the right
country.

         Now what to do - go see "Gangs of New York" or read those seven
volumes on my
library shelf?

                                                         Bob Schuyler

Robert L. Schuyler