From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:39:01 -0500
Dear Valerie,

Well, I have read the study.  And although I do not think that you can ever be swayed from your point of view, I think that others on the list have a right to hear the other side of the story.

You stated:  The conclusion of this study is that "lactation is a major source for the child's PCB body burden at 42 months."  I found this a rather shocking conclusion for a number of reasons.  Mostly shocking because they state, "Among the infants of mothers who decided to breast-feed, the median PCB level in cord plasma was significantly higher than that among children whose mothers preferred formula-feeding."  Hm...sounds like "loaded dice syndrome."

While I am no expert in statistics (in fact they rather baffle me at times) I do see that the level of the cord blood was used as one of the variables when they did their regression analysis.  So I believe that this was taken into account by the researchers.

You state: The breastfed infants in this study were the infants who were more chemically exposed in utero than the infant formula infants.  They explain this by saying that in the Netherlands, formula-feeding mothers consume less dairy products and beef (which they explain is high in PCBs).

Another poster was wondering about the differences between these groups.  They also state in the study that the breastfeeding moms as a group were older than the formula-feeding moms (no big surprise there) which they theorized would also account for the higher PCB load which they were carrying to begin with.

You state: Now the interesting thing is that they state under methods that they measured for levels of PCB congeners in cord plasma, breast milk and plasma from 42-month old children.  No mention of measuring of infant formula.  So who gave them the data on infant formula?  Nutricia?  Hm...