From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:10:12 EDT
        This subject has been discussed in the past but it has not been
resolved and continues to be an important topic.
I talked to Dr. Hartman this summer at ILCA regarding the newborn's stomach
capacity and he states that on day one the newborn does not need any more
than a total of 15-30cc, on day 2 no more than 30-45cc then on day 3 the baby
develops an appetite.
Now, this goes with what a mother produces on day 1 and 2, ect.  Which
physiologically makes sense.
Regarding if the newborn is "starving" in the first couple of
days..............I don't think so.  I relate it to how the mothers feel in
active labor; thirsty but no appetite.  Newborns can certainly have a sucking
need but the swallowing is intermittent and many times they are mucousy and
spitting up.
I hate the term "my baby is starving" then suck down a bottle!  If we gave
them an 8 ounce bottle how much might they put in their poor little tummy?
And how much and how long will they be puking this up?!
The human can go long periods without eating and the newborn is given
reserves to help them through the first few days.
I would love to see the formula fed infants restricted in their intake the
first 2 days and then both health care providers and parents would not expect
any more intake than what women normally make in those first days.
Off my soup box!
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA