Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:51:42 +0100
First, SORRY everyone, for just sending an entire digest as a post, with no
new text except the subject line.  My on line mail program is beyond my grasp.

It's been a long, long time since I have seen bottle nipples applied as
'shields' and I would like to delude myself into thinking I am responsible for
eradicating the practice in the unit where I work, through a two-pronged
approach, of up-to-date info and outright bullying of anyone backward enough
to try it.  It was rampant when I first started as a midwife and still does
occur in some places.  I heard an anecdotal report just this week from another
part of Norway, and it occurs in Sweden as well, though it is not officially
sanctioned anywhere and seems to be dying a well deserved, long overdue
natural death.

Last time I comforted myself with the near-extinction of this practice in my
unit, someone broke down and used it again - on a FRIEND of mine, no less!
Hope I am not jinxing things now by posting this.  It's been a long week in
the trenches, and there is much work still to be done.  My old bugabear, the
post-partum pinch, is alive and all too well, for example.  OTOH there were
about 16 mothers and one father at our BF info session today, which must have
been everyone on our ward who could get out of bed at all, and none of them
will put up with being painfully latched to their babies by staff using the
pop-it bead school of BF mismanagement again.
Sigh.  Have a good weekend, everyone.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway