Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa JOnes RN CLE IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:06:35 -0400
In defense of the nursing staff, especially within the NICU careful
swaddling of infants lower body provides organization for some stressed
infants. I rarely see arms covered or wrapped unless this is a very
disorganized child that really needs the support. Most of our staff know
that developmentally, infants use their hands as a comfort and a baby tries
to self calm by bringing hands to midline ( AKA centering) which is why
NICU infant are suppose to be positioned often on their sides with a body
roll to snuggle their body into and wrap their arms around.  Occ. a new
nurse or older mom will burrito a baby, along with covering babes hands
with socks or mittens. When I explain that they are depriving the infant of
the ability to self calm and self organize, causing the babe more stress,
they start to get it. I remind all moms, remember your ultrasound pictures?
In almost all of them, the babys hands are either clasped to their chest or
along the sides of their face. That tactile comfort is what they used in
utero- why deprive them of it now, once their born and facing so much more
stress to adapt to the outside world.
 It really helps to bring in a guest speaker who is familiar with infant
developmental support- then its not always just the "LC" who is trying to
educate the staff- the more people who say it, the sooner others tend to
buy into it.
Lisa JOnes RN CLE IBCLC
enjoying an unusual 70 degrees in Tacoma, WA